Department of Geriatric Nursing
The Department of Geriatric Nursing started its activities in 2012 in the School of Nursing and Midwifery of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. The aims of this department that operates in care, education and research fields, based on a philosophical approach are as follows:
• Achieving maximum operational performance and individual merit of elderly patients and their families
• Ensuring the provision of elderly patients’ and their families’ special needs
• Improving the elderly patients’ and their families’ compatibility with life’s changes (due to aging and probable disabilities)
• Maintaining the elderly patients’ social function and participation in society
Thus far, two classes of master’s students have been admitted numbering 14. In order to improve the quality of education, care and research, the department cooperates with academic staff of the departments of basic sciences, psychiatric nursing, health and nursing management.
Also, in order to empower students of geriatric nursing in clinical courses, the department uses TUMS hospitals, Kahrizak Charity Foundation, Iran Alzheimer’s Association , private nursing homes as well as neighborhood councils for teaching applied and internship courses and doing research.
Course credits for master’s students of geriatric nursing amount to 32 and include:
• Basic and main courses, 7 credits including nursing ethics and professional relations, theories, nursing patterns anf their application,clinical nursing management, teaching method and educational planning
• Specialized courses including epidemiology of geriatrics, study of the elderly health, geriatric pharmacology of complementary products, healthy and active agedness, geriatric nursing 1 (physical and functional disorders and diseases), geriatric nursing 2 (mental status and psychological disorders and diseases), geriatric nursing 3 (social problems and issues), elderly-specific care structures and systems
• Dissertation, 4 credits